Clashes in Sittwe refugee camps under control

This picture taken on October 13, 2012, shows a policeman sitting behind a barbed wire fence blocking the entrance into the Aung Mingalar quarter, which has turned into a ghetto after violence wracked the city of Sittwe, the capital of Burma's western Rakhine State. Photo: AFP

U Hla Thein, Chairperson of the Information Committee of Rakhine State Government told Mizzima, on August 11, that clashes in the Bengali refugee camp in Sittwe have been brought under control. One person was killed in the clashes.

He said that the clashes between the Police Force and the people took place on August 9 after a Bengali corpse was recovered near Hman Si village in Sittwe Township.

“The situation is peaceful now and there is no more violence. The army, the police force and the riot police are ensuring security within the area”, said U Hla Thein.

He added that the body of the Bengali who died during the clashes was buried on August 10. Those responsible for the death will be revealed and charged after thorough investigation.

The Government made an official announcement on August 10, stating that the clash on August 9 started after the police went to investigate a corpse at Hman Si Choung Wa near Hman Si village. Ahlan, a sixteen years old boy hit Sub Police Major Htay Win when the police tried to disperse about 500 Bengalis gathered at the scene.

It also stated that the police had to resort to shooting Rubber shell to disperse the crowd as they started attacking the police. The crowd enraged by that time torched 4 huts and the Ohn Taw Gyi police outpost.

The Information Committee said that one Bengali died. Two policemen and six Bengalis were injured. A police outpost and 4 huts of security officers were burnt during the clashes.

“The incident took place due to a body. There was no sufficient reason for a clash. The people demanded the police to hand over the body while they were investigating the scene. They could have waited till a proper inspection of the body was over. But they started attacking the officers and burned down security buildings including a police outpost”, U Win
Myaing, the Secretary of Information Committee said on August 11.

© Copyright 1998 - 2013 Mizzima News. All Rights Reserved